LONDON — Sun rays shining through a Nutella jar full of rubber wrist bands sparked a huge house fire in London, according to the London Fire Brigade.
Flames tore through the flat in Twickenham on Sunday, killing the family dog and destroying a bedroom.
The fire is believed to have begun when low winter sunlight was refracted by the jar on the windowsill of a bedroom, beamed onto blinds and causing them to catch fire.
“It sounds far fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that’s exactly what happened,” Charlie Pugsley from the Brigade’s fire investigation unit said.
“It’s worth spending five minutes checking that your window ledges are clear of any glass or crystal that might lead to potentially life changing blaze.”
The fire was attended by four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers from Twickenham and Feltham fire stations.
The residents of the flat, Declan Murphy, his wife Lindsay and their two children were away from the property at the time of the blaze, according to reports, but their Jack Russell Chilli wasn’t so fortunate.
Damage to the flat is estimated to be in excess of £250,000, and the family won’t be able to move back in for at least a year.
The London Fire Brigade say that at least 125 fires have been started by sunlight reflecting off windows in the last five years.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.